Tailored training and support for LGBT+ organisations and groups
3FF are inviting LGBT+ organisations and groups to join us for specially tailored training and support. Through this funded project, we will work with you to help you ensure your spaces, programmes and events are sensitive to and inclusive of the needs of people from different faith and belief backgrounds.
“3FF did an excellent job of making me feel comfortable and welcome, engaging me and managing discussion when things became difficult/sensitive without closing it down.”
– Local Authority Officer, London, participant in Faith Awareness Training
Why are we running this programme?
As the UK’s leading interfaith organisation, we have over 20 years’ experience bringing people of different faiths and beliefs together, as well as supporting schools, organisations and community groups to be more confident, skilled and inclusive in their work with people from different backgrounds. We aim for people of all identities to be able to be themselves in all settings.
Some relevant context for LGBT+ organisations and groups:
- In 2017, 14% of LGBT Consortium member organisations and groups reported a rise in service users who were LGBT people of faith (LGBT Consortium, 2017).
- LGBT people who belong to a non-Christian faith are more likely than LGBT people in general to have experienced a hate crime…with 30% experiencing this in the last year (Stonewall, 2017).
- Six per cent of LGBT young people regularly attend a place of worship. 50% of those say they feel welcome there as an LGBT person. (Stonewall, 2017).
- “As the national membership organisation for LGBT groups, projects and organisations, we recognise the need for trainings which enable organisations that support LGBT people to become even more inclusive. Religion is one of the areas where progress needs to be made” Paul Roberts, CEO of LGBT Consortium.
“Such a meaningful and wonderful event. I’ve spoken on a few panels on LGBT and faith and this is by far the best one I’ve been part of.”
– Volunteer, 3FF Event for LGBT History Month
What will you gain?
In a one-day training session, participants from LGBT+ organisations / groups will:
- Gain a deeper understanding of the complexity of faith identity
- Hear personal stories of LGBT people of faith from our network
- Learn practical skills for sensitive and effective communication about faith and belief
- Explore strategies for creating, convening and holding inclusive spaces
- Gain tools for confidently dealing with ‘ouch!’ moments, should they arise
- Plan ways to improve your existing spaces, programmes and events
One month after the training you will participate in a 121 coaching and support meeting, to help you ensure what you have learnt is being implemented and to discuss challenges specific to your organisation / group.
To have maximum impact, places on the programme are restricted to one person per LGBT+ organisation / group. This can be a staff member or volunteer. We recommend someone who works face-to-face with members of the public, or who is responsible for your public-facing work who could cascade learning to others.
“Really good session, very informative. Should be a staple of every organisation.”
– Participant, Public Faith Awareness Training
What are we looking for?
- A commitment to participating in a full one-day training session (09.45-17.00), and one 30 minute follow-up phone call
- A passion for inclusivity: on completion of this programme you will be joining a movement of people in schools, universities and communities passionate about supporting and providing opportunities for people from different faith and belief backgrounds
Places on the programme are funded, but we do ask for a contribution of £20 per organisation / group to help cover our costs. However, please do contact us if this is a barrier for your organisation /group and we will see what we can do.
Registering your interest
To register your interest in the programme, and to select the training day you wish to attend, please fill in this short form.
We will aim to be in touch with you within 14 days.